If Your Power Goes Out
||Lights dimming or flickering could signal that your power may be interrupted. A short circuit within your home, an impending storm or simply a tree branch that has dropped on a power line could be the cause. Knowing what to do when you see flickering lights or if you lose power is helpful to keep you and your family safe and secure.
- Unplug sensitive electronic equipment, including your computer
- Disconnect appliances powered by a motor, such as air conditioners and refrigerators. You should either unplug them or disconnect them at the circuit breaker.
- Check your fuse or breaker box for blown fuses or tripped circuits. If everything checks out, call your neighbor to see if they are without power. This can identify whether or not the problem is isolated to your home.
- Replace any blown fuses or reset any tripped circuit breakers. To reset your circuit breaker, first switch the breaker all the way to Off, then back to On.
- If you are still without power, call us at 781-4300 (within the Springfield calling area) or 877-OK-WMECO (877-659-6326) (outside of the Springfield calling area) and report your outage. Our easy-to-use automated system can walk you through the steps so you can avoid waiting for a representative, which comes in handy during storms.
- Turn off your lights (except one) and unplug major appliances and electronics to prevent electrical overload when the power is restored.
- Leave one light on so you'll know when power is restored.
- If your neighbor's power comes back on but yours does not, call us. There may be damage that we are unaware about, and the information you provide is helpful to us to pinpoint the trouble.
When You Call Us
- Be prepared to give us your account number, name, telephone number and address, as well as a cross street.
- Tell us if you heard a loud boom, can see an accident, can see sparks or know of downed trees or poles in your neighborhood. Be as specific as possible as this information is helpful to us when restoring power.
- Our easy-to-use automated IVR system can record your information quickly and conveniently without a wait. The information is processed just as if you were speaking with one of our Customer Service Representatives but without waiting for a live person. This comes in very handy during storms and other period of high call volume. The IVR system can also provide you with updates about the status of your outage and when you can expect your power to be restored.
Back to Top