NUStart is a program designed to help you manage your electric bill and keep electricity flowing to your home while rewarding you at the same time.
Through NUStart, customers who have a balance that is at least $100 and more than 60 days past due have the opportunity to eliminate the entire past due balance over 12 months.
Here's how it works:
- We will review your account billing history to set a monthly budget payment amount based on the average of your regular monthly bills. You will need to pay this amount on time each month to receive the program benefits and remain on the program.
- When you make your NUStart monthly payment, a portion of your past due balance will be eliminated, or "forgiven," thus reducing the amount you owe to WMECo.
- The amount that will be forgiven each month is calculated by taking your total past due balance and dividing it by 12. Let's take a look at one example:
- Suppose your budget amount is set at $150 per month and your past due balance is $1,200. For every month that you make your required $150 budget payment toward your current bill, WMECo will reduce your past-due balance by $100 (calculated as $1,200 ÷ 12 = $100).
- As long as you continue to make your NUStart budget payment each month, 1/12th of your past due balance will be eliminated. After 12 months on the program, your past-due balance will be reduced to zero.
- If you remain actively enrolled in the program and make your monthly NUStart payment, your electric service will not be shut off for non-payment.
To be eligible:
- You must be a current WMECo residential customer
- Your balance must be $100 or more and at least 60 days overdue on your current account
- Your income must fall at or below 60% of the estimated state median income
- You must continue to pay your monthly budget amount each month on time
- A "good faith" payment is required for enrollment in the NUStart program and varies by customer based on payment history.
If you have any questions regarding the NUStart program, have received a disconnect notice, or your service is currently disconnected, please call us at 1-800-286-2828. Our Customer Service representatives are available to help Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m